Thursday, October 23, 2008

Test Results & Chemo Round 3

I saw my oncologist today. The circulating tumor cell test was NEGATIVE! This is excellent news!! I've been waiting three weeks to hear the results of this test. A positive result would have indicated that there was in fact active cancer somewhere in my body, and my prognosis would have been poor. Even though the test was negative, there is a 25% chance that there are cancer cells floating around out there (it's such an inexact science). This is based on the size of active cancer left after the first two rounds of chemo. Today the oncologist put my survival rate at 75%. That is pretty good! There is basically a 1 in 4 chance that I could have a recurrence. I am facing more chemo and I'm ready to get going so I can get it over with. I had my port put back in yesterday. It was a day surgery and only took about an hour, no big deal. I'm a little sore today, but not too bad. The bone scan looked good. I have a PET scan scheduled for early next week. The PET is a complete body scan that should detect any "hot spots" (cancer). My third round of chemo begins next Thursday at St. Joe's in Tacoma. I will be getting two chemo drugs that I haven't had before: a weekly infusion of Navelbine and daily oral Xeloda. This will be a three month chemo cycle. My oncologist will continue to follow me closely and will order regular blood tests called CA 15-3 (a marker test), which he says isn't always accurate. I don't feel like I'm out of the woods, but feel like I'm on my way. Please continue to keep me and my family in your thoughts and prayers.

[What is a PET scan? A positron emission tomography (PET) scan is a special kind of imaging test which allows doctors to see how certain tissues and organs within the body are functioning. The most significant difference between a PET scan and other imaging tests such as MRI or CT scan is the ability to detect changes in the body at the cellular level rather than after a disease has progressed enough to actually effect the surrounding tissue or organs. A PET scan may be useful for helping to detect certain types of cancer, brain disorders, heart problems, and other conditions of the central nervous system. A PET scan is performed by injecting a small amount of radioactive chemical into a vein. As the chemical travels through the body, it is absorbed by the organs and tissues. During the test, a scanner records the energy produced by the cells. A computer converts the recording into three-dimensional pictures of an area of the body and any cells that are changing show up at a brighter contrast to any surrounding, normal cells. There is very little preparation involved prior to a PET scan and they are most often done on an outpatient basis. In general, most patients are simply given restrictions on food or drink for 6 to 12 hours prior to the test. The test takes approximately 2 hours to complete. PET scan technology is widely used in oncology as it helps to stage and detect certain types of cancer including breast cancer, lymphoma, and certain types of lung cancer. PET scan technology is also widely used in medical research.]

[Navelbine: Navelbine is an anti-cancer ("cytotoxic") chemotherapy drug. Navelbine is given through a vein by intravenous infusion (IV). There is no pill form. Navelbine is a vesicant. A vesicant is a chemical that causes extensive tissue damage and blistering if it escapes from the vein. Navelbine Side Effects include: Low blood counts, increased risk for infection or anemia, nausea, vomiting, muscle weakness, pain along the site where Navelbine was given, peripheral neuropathy (numbness in your fingers and toes), hair loss and low platelet (these help to clot the blood) counts.]

[Xeloda: Generic Name: Capecitabine Xeloda is an anti-cancer ("cytotoxic") chemotherapy drug. Xeloda is taken as a pill by mouth. The following Xeloda side effects are common: low red blood cell count (anemia), fatigue, GI distress, hand-foot syndrome, skin rash, swelling, redness, pain and/or peeling of the skin on palms of hands and soles of feet, nausea, vomiting, mouth sores, numbness or tingling of hands or feet, swelling of ankles or feet, shortness of breath, back, muscle, bone or joint pain, dizziness, insomnia, cough, blood clots, excessive sleepiness, confusion, very rare seizures.]

[What is the cancer antigen 15-3 (CA 15-3) blood test for breast cancer? Cancer Antigen 15-3 (CA 15-3) is a blood test that is given during or after treatment for breast cancer. It is most useful in monitoring advanced breast cancer and the patients response to treatment. CA 15-3 is not a blood test that screens for breast cancer. It is a tumor marker test that is helpful in tracking cancers that overproduce CA 15-3. CA 15-3 is a protein that is a normal product of breast tissue, and it does not cause breast cancer. If a cancerous tumor (cells growing out of control) is present in the breast, though, levels of CA 15-3 may increase as the number of cancer cells increase. Not every breast tumor causes a rise in CA 15-3, so for patients with tumors that do not produce CA 15-3 or with early-stage breast cancer, this test is not useful. Only about 30% of patients with localized breast cancer (cancer limited to the breast) will have increased levels of CA 15-3. In patients with metastatic breast cancer, CA 15-3 can be found in 50 to 90% of all cases. If the patient has completed treatment for breast cancer, the doctor may test your blood for CA 15-3 on a regular schedule to see if levels of this antigen are rising or remaining steady. Rising levels of CA 15-3 may indicate a recurrence of breast cancer, but since other conditions can cause higher levels of this antigen, the test results must be taken in to consideration with the results of imaging studies. Levels of CA 15-3 will help the doctor determine if: treatment is working or needs adjustment, cancer has made an early recurrence without noticeable symptoms or cancer has progressed.]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Beans, this is good news. Makes me cry with relief. I feel just really thankful right now. You will continue in my prayers. I love you very much, dear friend.

Caryn

Julie Bennett said...

I just put Jayson on the bus and thought you might have posted the results from yesterday on your blog. What a blessing this is honey! I love it that you can share the news with us all. I feel very positive and know that our constant prayer is powerful! We will get back on the chemo horse together and fight this! Don't forget to exhale. :) Julie

Unknown said...

YEAH!! YOU GO GIRL :) I love you Dena!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dena its Alana Young! I emailed the link to your blog to a bunch of friends and family to pray for you and your family during this battle. I went to coffee with a friends today and she asked how you were so I came on your blog to find out the latest. I'm glad to hear that the test results were negative. I bet that was a long 3 weeks to wait for the results. You are one tough cookie. You are an inspiration to many. Blessings to you sweet friend......Alana

Jodi said...

I'm rooting for you Dena! Woot@!