Monday, October 6, 2008

Neupogen Shots

March 10, 2008 - I have to get a blood test (CBC) done every week the day before chemo. They are watching to see if my white count is high enough to tolerate chemo. If it's not high enough I have what is called Neutropenia. When that happens I have to give myself shots to boost my white count. I'm Neutropenic this week. I have to give myself daily Neupogen shots between now and next week. I hate giving myself shots, but it must be done. Luckily, I have some great anti-anxiety medicine (Ativan) and that helps relax me so I can give the shots.

[What is Neutropenia? People can get neutropenia when treated for cancer with chemotherapy drugs. Blood is made up of billions of cells. There are many different types of blood cells, but most of the time you hear about two kinds - red cells and white cells. There are more red cells than any other type of blood cell. They are very important as they carry oxygen from your lungs to all parts of your body. White blood cells are just as important, but for a very different reason. One of their jobs is to protect you from infection. There are several kinds of white cells. Each has a special function. The most common ones are: Neutrophils, which surround and destroy bacteria in your body; and Lymphocytes, which are the key part of your body’s immune system, and defend against viruses. A third kind of blood cell, the platelet, helps your blood to clot. The term neutropenia describes the situation where the number of neutrophils in the blood is too low. Neutrophils are very important in defending the body against bacterial infections, and therefore, a patient with too few neutrophils is more susceptible to bacterial infections.]

[Neupogen (filgrastim) is a drug given to patients who have neutropenia. An injection of Neupogen stimulates white blood cell production. It is a clear liquid that is usually given as a shot Use For Breast Cancer: Chemotherapy for breast cancer affects all the rapidly dividing cells in your body, including bone marrow cells, which produce white and red blood cells and platelets. Fewer bone marrow cells means less blood cells. Injections of Neupogen can boost production of your neutrophils, a special type of white blood cell that helps your body fight infection.
How Neupogen Works: Usually, your body produces a protein that stimulates the production of neutrophils. But during chemo for breast cancer, your body may not make enough of this protein. Your CBC may reveal that your neutrophil blood counts are low, and that you are neutropenic. Neupogen injections will boost production of your neutrophils.]

No comments: