Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Surgery

September 19, 2008 - 9:45 a.m. check in for surgery (double mastectomy) at Overlake Medical Center in Bellevue. I am not anxious about losing my breasts. I am not that attached to them. They served their purpose when I nursed my kids. Right now all I can think about is getting the cancer out. After I'm healed I'll have reconstruction which means new and improved, bigger and better. (.)(.) Why not? Austin went with me to the hospital. Mom stayed with the kids. I am very confident in my surgeon. He is supposed to be the best. I hope they get it all. Just like that, 5:30 p.m. I'm out of recovery and in my room. I feel better than I expected. Very out of it, on lots of pain meds, sleepy, but doing well. The surgeon came to see me. He said he was pleased, there wasn't a lot of bleeding or bruising, things "looked good". So, that's encouraging. Very encouraging. Austin stayed for quite a while. Mary & Brad and Caryn came to visit me. Mom came to visit later in the evening. I'm 42 and still want my mom when I don't feel good. I think about that and get sad about the idea of not being there for my own kids. I can't imagine. I can't think about it or I just cry. All of the nurses that saw me commented on how nice the incisions looked and what a good job the surgeon did. Very good. Now, we're waiting for the pathology report.

No comments: