Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Feeling Deflated

I was talking to my friend Julie tonight. She asked me how I was feeling and I said, "honestly, I am feeling a little deflated". We both just started laughing. Ya, I'm deflated, that's for sure. Physically, it looks like somebody let the air out of my chest. Emotionally, I feel like I went from a complete high last Wednesday with the good news to a complete low on Friday with the bad news. It is good that my sense of humor is in tact!

Being as the reconstruction is on hold I decided to go get fitted for my prosthesis. The lady who helped me at Nordstrom was very nice. I'm all set. They are like explants instead of implants. Even though the reconstruction is purely cosmetic, I'm a bit disappointed that I have to wait. My reconstructive surgeon has an open house where women come and show off his work. They talk about all the different types of reconstruction and share their experiences. I am sure I would find this to be very educational. In time, everything in time.

[deflate, -flated, -flating: 1. to release the air or gas from something inflated, (as a balloon) 2. to reduce (currency, prices, etc.) from an inflated condition 3. to depress or reduce (a person or a person's ego, hopes, spirits, etc.) 4. to become deflated]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting your journey here for us to read, Dena. Always in my good Lutheran prayers, you are! (OK...that was a bit Yoda-esque, but you get my meaning! :))

Love you.

Corn

Pastor Greg said...

Dena,

We are praying! Thank you for this blog. Let me know if I can share some of the "things people say" and your comments with our caregivers.

Blessings,

Pr. Greg - MLC

Lizard said...

Dena,
We love you and are praying for you. Keep your chin up girl.

Liz & Dave