Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Done with Chemo, Going Camping!


August 12, 2008 - My last day of chemo! Yahoo!!! Debbie and Sid brought balloons and flowers to the hospital for me. I can't believe I'm done. Wonderful! The next big thing is the surgery (double mastectomy). I have to wait 3 - 4 weeks for my body to cleanse itself of the chemo before going in for surgery. Chemo was hard on me. I feel really wiped out.

August 16, 2008 - We had tickets to see Tom Petty at the Gorge with John & Kelly. There was no way I could go. I just finished chemo and I still feel like crap. Austin went for the day and had fun for me. Nathan went to Nana's house for the weekend and Liz had Amanda for a sleepover. I had the house to myself (a rare occurence) and just hung out, read my book, watched movies, drank cocoa and slept.

August 28, 2008 - We had four camping reservations this summer, three of which we had to cancel because I wasn't feeling well. I was determined to get one camping trip in this summer. It was part of my "do normal things, try to feel normal and you'll feel better" philosophy. Plus, we needed a family trip together. Austin and Nathan packed the car, we headed out and were on the road to Anacortes to catch a ferry for Orcas Island to camp at Moran State Park. We love camping at Moran. We love Orcas Island in general. Most of you know we were married there and it is a special place for us. We got there, set up camp and roasted hot dogs for dinner. We sat around the fire, made s'mores and really enjoyed ourselves. We were camping, a normal thing we do! The next day it started to sprinkle, then it rained, then it poured. So, we packed up and came home. I can camp in the rain, but if the inside of the tent gets wet then I draw the line. We tried. It was still a fun road trip.

No comments: