Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Scan is Clear!

I had a PET scan this past Tuesday. I've been waiting to hear the results (waiting is the worst) and found out today that the scan is clear! Yahoo! Praise God! This means that there were no visible "hot spots" that could be detected. As far as they can tell the cancer is not in my organs. I am feeling like a survivor again. They'll repeat the PET regularly. For now, I couldn't be happier. My sister-in-law Steph was with me today. I needed a ride because I feel too loopy to drive after chemo, but also I didn't want to be alone in case I received bad news. Thanks Steph!

I had my second chemo treatment today. They had a bit of trouble getting blood return from my port, so it took a while. I'm glad I had brought my knitting. The Navelbine chemo bag was tiny and it ran in about 10 minutes. To think that chemo use to be a 24 hour event for me. Now, I'm in and out in two hours max. It's amazing to me that something that small could do such a big job, but I do trust that the oncologist knows what he's doing. The chemo knocked me out today. I got home around 1:00 and slept until 3:30, got the kids settled and then Austin came home early to help. I went back to sleep and am just now rallying - it's 7:30. My body must have needed the rest. I found out that I will have two weeks on, one week off of the Navelbine. So, no chemo next week. Yeah!

One of my chemo nurses was a New Yorker, from the Bronx. I had lots of fun talking with her today. She grew up in Yonkers and worked at an import/export business on Nepperhan Avenue (very near my friend Susan) before becoming a nurse. She lived in White Plains as well, like I did. She was familiar with the little town of Tuckahoe, too. It's a such a small world. She worked in Manhattan and so did I. It was great to talk with her. Her brother went to my school, Iona College. I could tell by her accent that she was from New York. I'm glad I started the conversation, because it was great to reminisce and took my mind off chemo a bit, too.

5 comments:

Julie Bennett said...

Rock and Roll Baby! Let's kick this with style! You know cancer is meant to be KICKED!!!! Love You! J

Unknown said...

YAY Dena! I am so happy for this news.

Anonymous said...

Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow! Girl, this is GREAT news! I am so happy! I love you bunches!

Corn

Andrea said...

Dena,
This is great news!! I've been waiting to hear about your scan & I'm so happy it's good news. Thinking of you & sending you big hugs.
Andrea

Anonymous said...

WOW Dena what a blessing. God is GREAT! Keep up the positive outlook, you are a true inspiration. Love, Alana Youkng