Sunday, November 30, 2008

My Trip to Cannon Beach by Nathan (age 10)


Nathan kept a journal of things he did on our Thanksgiving trip to the beach. He wrote this story for school:

I woke up on Wednesday morning knowing that we were going to Cannon Beach for Thanksgiving that day. I was exited to go because I have been there before and I knew it was fun and exciting. The first thing that I did was wake up from bed and get dressed. Then I went downstairs and went outside to help my dad load the car with stuff that included my D.S., my stuffed animal that was a dog and my clothes.

But first before we could go to Cannon Beach we needed to take mom to her chemo. So we all went to mom’s chemo place which is a hospital in Tacoma. Dad and I just dropped mom, Amanda and Nana off at the hospital then we went to get breakfast because we had not gotten breakfast yet. We both had omelets and hash browns on the side. Then we went back to the hospital and I played Uno with mom. Next we went on the road to go to Cannon Beach mom and I had to switch places in the car, because mom wanted to take a nap.

Then we got to Cannon Beach. The first thing that I did was open the blinds. Then I went out to the beach and played after I helped dad unload the car. After that, we had dinner which was taco soup. We watched a movie called Mr. Mom. Then dad and I went for a walk on the beach with a flashlight. Finally I went to bed. I sleep in a bed that’s right by a window where I have a good view of the ocean.

I woke up Thursday and went downstairs. I played D.S. and watched TV for about an hour. After everyone got up mom sent me to the store to buy milk. It’s the store down the road about a block or so. Nana made Swedish pancakes for us, which are really thin pancakes that are really, really good. We went on a walk on the beach. We collected rocks to make place markers for where we sat at the table for Thanksgiving dinner. We made turkey hats and I made an Indian hat with feathers. We painted the rocks. My rock had a smiley face with green background and googly eyes. I helped make dinner. I made the whipping cream for the pie. I also used the beaters to mash the potatoes. We had dinner. We all talked about what we were thankful for. I said I was thankful to have food and a family and that we had a warm house to live in. After dinner I made a fire in the fireplace. I used the criss cross method and struck the match myself. We played a game called Whoonu and also a game called Catch Phrase. I walked on the beach with Nana and dad. We took flashlights. I went to bed and my tummy was full.

I got up on Friday morning. We had sausage and eggs. I went to the blow hole with dad and Nana. The blow hole is three caves that all have waves that come in and crash against the side to make the water shoot really high up in the air. Then we hiked all the way back. We all went into town. We went to the candy store called Bruce’s Candy Kitchen. It smelled like salt water taffy. I saw millions of different candies that I’ve always wanted to try. I got a shirt that says Tough Guys Wear Pink. We went back to the house and went for a walk on the beach. We had really really good pizza for dinner. I watched Kung Fu Panda with Nana. It was really funny. I read my book when I got into bed, then I went to sleep.

I had a really fun time at Cannon Beach and I was really sad when I had to leave on Saturday. It was fun on the car ride back because I listened to my ipod and played my D.S. When I got home I helped dad unload the car and put everything away. The End.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nathan:

You write so well! I could just about feel I was there in Cannon Beach with you from your good descriptions. Especially now my mouth is watering for some salt water taffy!

Love you bud!

Caryn

Andrea said...

You are a great writer, Nathan! I can't believe that little toddler that used to hang out at CTC has grown up like you have. I haven't seen you in ages, but have seen pictures of you & Amanda every year or so. It was great to read something you wrote. Sounds like you had a great trip to Cannon Beach. Merry Christmas, Nathan! (and please tell Amanda Merry Christmas too).
Love,
Andrea