Sunday, February 1, 2009

Wonderful Distraction




It's been a week since we brought Tui home. It has been a great week! Everyone is settling in nicely. I would say that we are all definitely bonded with Tui. The kids are doing great with him. Amanda pets him, fills up his food dish and gets kisses on her hand. Nathan is the proud new dog owner. He is very responsible and helpful. Having a dog around is the most wonderful distraction for me. It's hard to think about how sick and tired I feel when I have my family and this new little bundle to focus on first. He goes all out, is full of energy and loves to play - then all of a sudden he will be completely sacked out. He is a lap dog, but likes his bed and also goes into his "house" (crate) with no problem at all. We just have to get up once at night to let him out. He goes in the car with me when I pick the kids up from school. He gets so excited to see Nathan. Yesterday we even took him up to Crystal Mountain for Nathan's ski lesson. I thought, being a Husky and all, that he'd love the snow. I was wrong. He wasn't real fond of the snow, it was too cold. He preferred to be cuddled up inside our coats. The focus of this blog is to keep friends & family up to date on my cancer journey, but I think it's important to share the good things that are going on my life too. Tui is definitely a good thing! So, thanks for listening to me rave about him. Chemo went well last week. They were able to get blood return from my port right away, so there was much less waiting around. I was in and out in three hours. It still seems like a breeze compared to my last rounds of chemo. I'm still not sleeping well due to the Xeloda. My blood sugar is all over the board again. I'm back to testing routinely and taking insulin when needed. The blood clot doesn't seem to be getting worse. I still have man veins and some pain. I am on continuous Coumadin (blood thinner) and I can't ski this year because of that. If I fall or get crashed into I could have internal bleeding. Sometimes I feel like an old person who could complain all day if you let me. I try not to. The best news ever is that I have two chemo's left and then I'm done. I see my oncologist tomorrow and will find out about scheduling the surgery to take the port out.

3 comments:

Renee said...

Dena,

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Your faith in God encourages me to fight the good fight.

You are so close to the finish line of the 2nd leg of this triathlon. Congratulations!

~Renee

Unknown said...

those puppy eyes are freaking gorgeous. looks just like an alaskan doggy :)

almost done - so exciting. i'm glad your doctor talked to you about "new normal" b/c once they "dump" you and you're doing seeing them, it's a huge shock. you get your life back and it's kinda scary after a year of seeing them almost weekly.

Anonymous said...

Nathan looks SO happy! It is so cool you all got your little mascot..go Huskies! Dena, you are a true fighter...better days lie ahead. You are truly an inspiration to everyone who knows you. We love you and think good thoughts for you. Hug those beautiful kids of yours for us. Love, Melissa