Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Oncology Follow Up

I saw my oncologist yesterday. It looks like the port will be coming out 3 or 4 weeks after my last chemo. Even though it's a minor surgery to remove it, there is still some healing involved. My body needs to be free and clear of the chemo poison before surgery so that I heal properly. We also talked about timing around the reconstruction. He recommended waiting until this fall to get started. He is doesn't feel it is necessary to repeat the CT to take another look at the lymph nodes on my left side. He said, "I've been doing this a long time. Trust me, the cancer is not in your lymph nodes". I do trust him. I was also very concerned about the rib tenderness I've had on the left. He said it is very likely residual pain and swelling related to the surgery. The rib bones are probably bruised. I did ask the doctor how long he thought the tumor was there before I found it and he guessed 1 - 2 years. It is something I've been wondering about. He said that's when microscopic cancer cells could have migrated through the blood supply to another site. That's why I'm doing this round of chemo - to clean house. I have another oncology follow up in three weeks and my 8th chemo session tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dena will you really have peace of mind without another CT scan? I know your doc is the best and all, but you are your own advocate as you know! Please be sure you will be at peace with this before you agree to no follow-up scan. I feel in my heart you are free of this disease. I pray daily for your health and heart too. You mean the world to me and I would be sad if uncertainty plagued your thoughts. You need a lot of positive energy to heal. That is all I wish to be for you too. Call me anytime as you know! Love ya lots! Julie