Saturday, June 13, 2009

We Walked

Look at my beautiful family! I love you guys! We walked together in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure last weekend. It was a very emotional day, bitter sweet - so awesome to see the "sea of pink" with thousands of people showing their support, at the same time I was reminded of all the women who have lost their battle to this horrible disease. Lots of tears, but I'm glad I did it. I met some of my Young Survival Coalition friends there. We walked in the survivor's parade after the race. I will be honest and say that I don't really feel like a survivor yet. I am glad to have survived four rounds of chemo. I am thankful to be alive. I will feel so much better after I make it through the first year without a recurrence, then, each year after that. After I hit the five year mark I'm sure I'll feel safer, but even that's not a guarantee. I think my friend Maria said it best, "I won't feel like a survivor until I hold my grandchildren".

1 comment:

Kristen Heineman said...

Your guys look awesome! Miss you so much and hope to do the race for the cure with you in a few years! Or better yet come to Hawaii and we will walk together:0)Take care Dena and remember to take care of yourself still and take it easy! Cancer likes stress so don't stress!